Home > Insurance > Third Party Insurance: What's Covered?

Third Party Insurance: What's Covered?

By: Jack Claridge - Updated: 23 Jun 2012 | comments*Discuss
Third Party Fire And Theft Insurance

There are two main types of insurance available for drivers of motor vehicles – fully comprehensive, third party, fire and theft/ third party only.

Third party insurance cover is the lowest form of insurance a driver of a motor vehicle can have. This insurance covers you from the cost of any liability to other people. If, for example, you caused an accident then your third party cover would protect you from any costs that might be incurred in putting their vehicle back to a road-worthy state again. Third party insurance also covers against damage to other people’s property and injuries caused to other people.

Third party insurance carries no excess as you cannot claim for anything yourself; only other individuals affected by your driving can claim against your insurance.

You should also be aware that if you do have an accident and there is damage to your own vehicle that third party insurance will not cover the cost of any repairs to your vehicle; you are liable for damages, breakdown fees and towing fees yourself. You are road legal with third party insurance cover as long as you have a valid MOT and driving licence.

Providing you are over the age of 25 your insurance company may agree that you can drive another person’s vehicle with just your third party insurance but this is normally only the case if you have Fully Comprehensive Insurance. You should be aware again that this will only cover damages to other people, their vehicles and their property and the vehicle you are in charge of will be your own responsibility when it comes to paying for repairs.

Third Party, Fire and Theft

Third party, fire and theft (also known as Non-Comprehensive Insurance) offers the same protection against damage to other people’s vehicles and property and injury to other people as your third party insurance would, but with the addition of protection against damage to your vehicle by fire or from having your vehicle stolen.

As with third party only insurance, you cannot claim if you collide with another driver and it is your fault - it is only the third party who can approach your insurance company with a view to making a claim. You can only make a claim yourself if your car has been stolen or damaged as the result of a fire.

Third party, fire and theft insurance is not the ideal insurance to have if you own a high value car – or a brand new car for that matter (obviously because the cost of replacing the vehicle will be higher)- in fact many insurance companies will only offer fully comprehensive insurance for vehicles of a certain value or age.

If you live in an area where car crime is relatively common you may find that insurance premiums are considerably higher than in areas where car crime is less common.

Before buying an insurance policy it is best to look at the different policies available the market place. Visit insurance companies’ websites and fill out a quote form, or check out an insurance comparison site before deciding upon which one to buy.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Third-party insurance is really only going to be worthwhile if you have an old banger that you don't care about. That way you're covered in case you hit anyone or anything else. If you car's a write off you'll pay for a new one out of your own pocket, but chances are you've only lost a few hundred. If your car's worth more than a grand, go with comprehensive insurance. If you're paying off a car loan, you'll need to have comprehe3nsive insurance as part of the loan agreement.
David - 23-Jun-12 @ 6:16 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments