Home > Ask Our Experts > An Endorsement, Can it be Removed?

An Endorsement, Can it be Removed?

By: Sally Aquire - Updated: 5 Sep 2021 | comments*Discuss
Driving Licence Point Endorsements


I have a three point endorsement from 4 years ago, how do I get it removed from my licence?

I have an old type paper licence, can I get it updated to the newer type?

(Mr tim pattemore, 3 December 2008)


If you have point endorsements on your driving licence that date back several years, you are probably wondering if you can get them removed.

How Long do Endorsements Remain on Your Driving Licence?

Depending on the type of Motoring Offence that they were awarded for, point endorsements must stay on your driving licence for either four or eleven years.

Point endorsements that must stay on your driving licence for four years after you are convicted include:

  • Accident offences, including failing to stop after an accident, failing to report an accident within 24 hours
  • Disqualified driver offences, including Driving While Disqualified
  • Careless driving offences, including reckless and dangerous driving, and driving without due care and attention towards other road users
  • Use offences, such as Using a Mobile Phone While Driving, driving a car with defective brakes or tyres
  • Driving while under the influence of drink or drugs
  • Driving a car without third party insurance
  • Failing to notify the DVLA of a medical condition or disability that may otherwise result in you being refused a full driving licence or disqualification, or driving after your driving licence has been revoked on medical grounds
  • Speeding offences

Point endorsements that must stay on your driving licence for eleven years after you are convicted include:

  • Death by dangerous driving while under the influence of drink or drugs
  • Death by dangerous driving and failing to provide a specimen for analysis

Updating Your Licence

Once your points endorsement is due to expire (more about Endorsements here), you can have them removed from your driving licence by exchanging your driving licence. To do this, you need to get a D1 application form from the DVLA. This can be done through the DVLA form ordering service (which you can access on the Directgov website) or you can get the form from some Post Office branches. As well as the D1 application form, you also need to send your photocard driving licence and paper counterpart (for holders of paper driving licences, you need to send original documentation that confirms your identity, your paper driving licence and a passport-sized photograph), and the fee (this is usually £20.00 but the DVLA website can confirm if this changes).

Once your application form has been received, the DVLA aim to send your new driving licence to you within three weeks, but it may take a month. As long as you have previously held a full UK driving licence (that was issued after 1976) and have not been disqualified due to the amount of penalty points on your driving licence or on medical grounds, you can continue driving without legal implications.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I got dr10 on my driving licence over 11 years ago I checked my licence on the dvla's web site and it's still there even though it says spent. Can I get that removed. Thanks
Daz - 30-Nov-20 @ 10:38 AM
I have a dr10 on my licence i do not drive my company vehicle do i still have to declare it to them.
boby - 2-Apr-20 @ 6:58 PM
I had a bump in a car park in greata green and got nine point and a £800 pound fine from the Scottish courts because i left the scene and did not report it within the allowed time. This was in February 2016 when can i get them removed.
Roaming willy - 25-Jul-19 @ 8:54 PM
I have 9 points for acr10 on my licence conviction in July 2017 how long do they remain On my licence
Ps - 20-Jun-19 @ 7:06 AM
I have a dr10 on my license can I go court and ask them to remove it for me if I have valid reasons???
Manc - 3-Jun-19 @ 9:29 PM
Hi my points expire in 2 weeks. But they remove them next year. Do i still have the points after the 2 weeks are up?
Bridget19 - 1-May-19 @ 4:25 PM
The DR10 conviction code stays on your licence for 11 years. During this time you cannot drive someone else car unless you are a 'named driver'. You cannot hire a car in the UK, and companies are within their rights to deny you a job based on your previous conviction. Trust me I know about this issue. :(
Nimbo - 4-Jan-19 @ 7:06 AM
If you have a spent drink driving conviction then Amazon are breaking the law by using it against you. As it's clearly covered under the rehabilitation of offenders act and under the data protection act.
Sanny - 15-Jul-18 @ 1:09 AM
i had a dr10 on my driving licence 6 years ago went for a job with amazon delivering parcels with my own van and insurance but they would not take me on as they said they do not employ people who had a dr10 on there licence even thought it was six years ago looks like when you make a mistake you still get punished is this fair ?
billbo - 6-Jul-18 @ 8:47 AM
Had licence revoked Nov 2016 for 3 months due to mental health problem. It took 4 1/2 months to have a new one issued and this was only for one year. I am in the process of reapplying, but DVLA are writing to the doctor - who I have not seen for over a year- for his opinion.The doctor has not contacted me, and I have had no MH problems since September 2016. The doctor had put on the medical forms that I was psychotic, yet I did not have any psychotic episode in September 2016. I did have a psychotic episode in 2014, but my licence was not revoked then. I do not understand this. I would like to know if I could have surrendered my licence instead of having it revoked. Would this have made any difference?
Alimt - 13-Mar-18 @ 4:05 PM
@herbie. No it's highly unlikely that you can get these removed without specialist legal help.
YourDrivingLicence - 12-Mar-15 @ 11:54 AM
Back in 2006 I was arrested for Dr30 (failing to provide) I wasn't drunk but had an altercation with the police and was pepper sprayed they used the video at the station to say I was drunk but it was because I couldn't See that made me look drunk , I saw the doctor at the station because of other injuries I had received and offered a blood test which was refused ! I told my solicitor I was going to fight this and he agreed till the day court and told me to plead guilty I got 10 points and 900 pounds fine but now this is a problem with work again looking to change employees, it seems even though I wasn't drunk I would have been better off to say I was looking at other charges . What I would like to know is can I get these points removed ? Any help would be greatly recived
herbie - 10-Mar-15 @ 12:07 AM
i have sp30 on my licence which have expired do i have to send my paper licence to get them removed and if so will i have to have a card id licence in replacement
edensor61 - 5-Aug-14 @ 9:01 AM
I have a British driving licence. My SP 30 endorsement is due for removal in August of this year. I will be residing in the Netherlands at that time. Is there an organisation in the Netherlands where I can send my driving licence for removal of the points or would I have to send the driving licence by post to the DVLA in Great Britain. Secondly if the licence was sent to the DVLA, would they post it back to me in the Netherlands? Thank you GIll Light
Gill - 8-Feb-14 @ 12:03 PM
I was banned a few years ago for drink driving. Fair enough,guilty as charged. However, having now checked the codes that are added to my returned licence I find that I have a DR 9 which is driving whilst unfit through drugs ,NOT drink driving ! That is a DR 10. Given that I have never taken an illegal drug in my life I,m a bit concerned that this looks bad to potential employers. Can I get this changed to the correct code ?
Darby - 4-Dec-13 @ 7:04 AM
We have a small business with 2 vans - which are insured for any driver over 30 we have a new employee on his counterpart licence it shows a DR10 offence code from February 2002 a ban of 13months £250.00 fine nil points - has this now cleared? or do I have to inform our insurance company of this offence - I would be very grateful for your help
milly - 7-Nov-13 @ 9:12 AM
I have a BA 10,andI N 10from Feb 2010 ,when is the earliest I can get it removed from my driving licence please
Rusher - 28-Oct-12 @ 2:36 AM
marko--- i also have a dr10.. its been 3 years since i was banned, do i still have to tell my insurance that ive been banned? when i did the drink awareness course offered by the court to reduce the ban, the fella in charge said i didn't have to declare to insurance after 3 years so wanted to make sure first..
calv - 3-Sep-12 @ 7:20 PM
I have endorsement from over three years ago, will it still affect my insurance?
Doz0308 - 22-Jul-12 @ 7:37 PM
i have dr10. may 2002. can i get this removed & at what cost
cossack - 10-Jul-12 @ 4:14 PM
i have an ni10 on my licence with 8 points, 2008 will this be cleared next year
navish - 7-Aug-11 @ 7:18 PM
i have a dr10, on my licence, its been on there for 7, yrs, is it poss to get it removed fromthe print on my licence
marko - 8-May-11 @ 9:19 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments