Home > Ask Our Experts > Do I Need Extra Training to Ride a Moped?

Do I Need Extra Training to Ride a Moped?

By: Sally Aquire - Updated: 21 Jul 2014 | comments*Discuss
Moped Motorcycle Practical Test Training

Q.I hold a full driving licence having passed my test in 1975. Will I need to take training and a driving test to ride a moped/motorcycle of 50cc or 125 cc? Some years ago I had a scooter and the requirment then was just to display L-plates and not carry a pillion passenger.

(Mr Jack Hopps, 11 September 2008)


As you already hold a driving licence and this was achieved before 2001, you don't need to pass a separate test to be able to ride a moped without L-plates. The DVLA encourage you do so to make sure that your riding skills are up to scratch, but it isn't a legal requirement.

Compulsory basic training

If you got your driving licence after 2001, you do need to pass a separate test. In addition, to be able to ride a moped in the UK, you need to have successfully come through Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), which is a short training programme designed to reduce the number of accidents involving new riders. You then receive a DL196 certificate that confirms your provisional moped or motorcycle entitlement, which is valid for two years. You must take your practical and theory tests before this expires, or you will be required to retake the CBT course.

Motorcycle practical tests

To ride a motorcycle, you need to pass a practical test. This involves an eyesight test to check that you meet the minimum standard before your test begins. You are also asked to answer two vehicle safety questions before your test starts. The Directgov website has sample questions to help you prepare for this. After this, you are tested on your riding skills, including moving off, emergency stops, U-turns and controlling the motorcycle while travelling at a slow speed.

If you pass the practical test, you will receive a pass certificate and your new full driving licence. This can either be done automatically by giving your licence to your instructor (who will have it scanned and details sent to the DVLA) or you can send it to the DVLA yourself. In either case, you should get your new licence in three weeks. If you fail the practical test, you can book a new test after ten days have passed.

Further training

If you have held a driving licence since before 2001 and have not undertaken CBT, you can take further training to brush up on your motorcycle riding skills. These are taught by Post-test Motorcycle Trainers (PTMT) who are happy to pass on their experiences of riding a motorcycle safely. The Transport Office website has a link to a list of DSA-approved trainers in the UK that you can contact.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
@Tabi. If you do not have a UK address you will need to contact the DVLA directly to arrange renewal.
YourDrivingLicence - 22-Jul-14 @ 11:43 AM
I am now non-resident foreigner living in Pakistan. I visit UK every year to see family and friends. My British driving licence expired in year 2010. Can I have my driving licence renewed and how?
Tabi - 21-Jul-14 @ 6:02 PM
Hi, I have a full uk car licence, I passed my test in 1995.The question I have is can I ride a 50 cc or 125cc scooter abroad (France), with a passenger with out having to take any further training or tests.I have a motor home and was looking to take a scooter over to get me and my partner around locally. Thanks
Chris - 13-May-12 @ 9:45 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments